Initial Wisconsin Teaching Certification:
The following are requirements and steps to be taken to acquire your Wisconsin teaching certificate if you already hold a college degree.
- Wisconsin Initial Teaching Certification
- Step 1:Request information from accredited institutions regarding Bachelor's, Master's and PhD programs. Teacher Preparation Programs.
- Step 2:You will need to download and complete the Wisconsin Initial Certification Application form, Form 1602-IS
- Step 3:After you have completed your part of the application, you will need to send the application to your teacher education institution so they may be able to verify your completion of their program and your satisfactory competency examination scores.
Step 4:Within your application packet provide a fee of $100 by check or money order made payable to the "Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction"
Or you may use the first page of the application to pay by credit card.
- Step 5:Complete the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Conduct and Competency Review that is located within the application form.
Step 6:If you have worked, resided or attended college anywhere other than in Wisconsin, you will need to submit your Fingerprints for a background check.
You may request fingerprint cards from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction by calling 1-800-266-1027.
You will be sent an FBI card and a Wisconsin Crime Information Bureau card. Cards must be completed by a law enforcement official.
Step 7:Prior to admission into a Wisconsin Teacher Education Program, you will need to obtain passing scores on the Praxis I, PreProfessional Skills Test in Reading, Writing and Mathematics.
You must also eventually pass the Praxis II subject assessments that are required for your desired endorsement(s).
Find more information about Praxis Examinations in Wisconsin from the ETS Website.
Step 8:Verify the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has received your certification by checking the license database which can be found at www.dpi.state.wi.us
Step 9:Sit Back and Relax!
125 S. Webster St.
P.O. Box 7841
Milwaukee, WI 53707-7841
Or contact the Wisconsin Licensing Office by phone at (800) 441-4563
- Wisconsin Alternative Teaching Certification
For more information on this option for Wisconsin Teacher Certification, call Ken Starkman at (608) 266-0933
Learn about the requirements of another state by clicking on one of the state certification links to your left.
Request information from schools by clicking on the links or school logos below.
New Hampshire Teacher
New Jersey Teacher
New Mexico Teacher
New York Teacher
North Carolina Teacher
North Dakota Teacher
Rhode Island Teacher
South Carolina Teacher
South Dakota Teacher
West Virginia Teacher
Elementary Teacher Education
Secondary Teacher Education
Do you remember walking through the front doors of your school on your first day as a teacher? Well, I sure do. A few teenagers were strolling the halls, but most hadn’t arrived yet. Eager with anticipation, I hardly slept a wink... Read More...